roast profile: FILTER
tasting notes: STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE - PLUM WINE - CLEAN & JUICY
origin: EL SALVADOR
location: APANECA ILAMATEPEC
farm: EL BATALLON
producer: MAPACHE COFFEE
elevation (MASL): 1200 - 1400
EL SALVADOR El Batallon
Mapache Coffee is a modern take on the traditional coffee industry. Run by Jan-Carlo & Sofia Handtke who come from a legacy in coffee being fifth-generation growers, they have taken the task to make coffee-growing sustainable.
I/t all started 12 years ago when Jan-Carlo took the challenge to replant his families’ old farms while working in the paper packaging industry. Right out of college, this small project of replanting the farms turned into what is now Mapache Coffee, an operation that includes 6 farms that employ 150 people year-round and a state-of-the-art milling station. During harvest season, the farms provide jobs to more than 700 people, becoming one of the largest single employers of the coffee sector in the country. Over the years Jan-Carlo & Sofia realized that coffee ran through their veins and that all along they had right in front of them what their life passion was, to grow amazing coffee, help communities in the countryside, make coffee alliances worldwide and share the love for coffee with friends everywhere. By 2019 the company will have planted roughly 1.3 million new coffee plants, they believe these coffee plants will outlast us for generations to come, providing for many families involved a way of life in coffee.
To achieve sustainability in coffee they work on three main premises :
1. Low impact in the environment while producing & processing coffee,
2. Job security to everyone who wants to join the team
3. Strive for “win-win” commercial relationships.
Everyone in the team knows their craft, they believe in excellency in everything they do. All the coffees are treated with respect, from the picking to the cupping table, they keep track of every aspect related to quality & traceability in the operation. Being a specialty coffee mill not a commercial coffee mill gives them the chance to carefully oversee each process, from picking cherries at a specific “lot” up to preparing our coffees to export.
- FREE delivery over $50 (after discounts, before shipping and taxes)
- GROUND COFFEE ORDERS: do you want us to grind coffee for your online order? Just add your request (and please tell us how you brew your coffee) in the comments at check out. We only can offer you a universal grind suitable for Auto Drip, French Press or Pourover and universal grind suitable for espresso.